Friday, March 14, 2008

Turning my black thumb green...

I am KNOWN for my black thumb. My family teases me about it. I don't even GLANCE at the beautiful potted plants at stores. I've resigned myself to not attempting to keep anything but my children and cat alive! It's not that I don't like plants. I really do. Especially the indoor variety that doesn't involve much in the way of insect encounters. My track record is just horrible.

But I've set out to change that. Several weeks ago, I planted herb seeds in little plastic cups and lined them on my kitchen window sill. I have dutifully watered them and every day I look for signs of growth. I have been rewarded with tender green sprouts of basil, parsley, and chives poking through the soil. I cannot begin to express the simple joy this brings me!

Now that I've had just a tad of success, I'm ready to move on. I've requested a tomato plant for Mother's Day. The idea of a gift that will bring such pure joy, will save money for my family, and will help me have some quality control over our food sounds like just the ticket!

Wish me luck... I still worry my thumb could turn black again at any point...

2 comments:

Heather Hernandez said...

What a great idea, to start small with cultivating your green thumb! Happy blogging, I'm here to help whenever you need it!

JessieLeigh said...

Thanks, Heather! I absolutely LOVE your blog. I really have no idea what I'm doing yet, but I'm trying to learn... : )