Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Overcoming resentment...

Let me start here- I know I'm lucky. Lucky to have a strong husband who stands beside me. Lucky to have two beautiful children. Lucky, even, to have good, healthy genes. I do not forget any of these things. However...

I am continually hurt by the comments made by several women in my life. Comments about how "lucky I am that I don't 'have to work'" Comments about how it "must be nice to stay home all day". Comments about how it "must be nice" to have the TIME to read, bake, pray, etc.

I am lucky. Lucky that my husband and I share like views and priorities. Lucky that we are both willing to make the type of commitment and sacrifices necessary to enable our home to run the way that it does. Lucky that I can rest easy each night knowing that I truly feel that I am doing the very best I can for my family as wife and mother with where I'm at in my journey. And, yes, lucky that I DO take the time to pray so that I may continue to grow in this role and evolve into a stronger example of wife and mother.

I cannot avoid these comments as they come from my husbands' sisters. I've tried to ignore them or even to handle it with humor (i.e. "yep, it's a nice life, sitting around eating bon-bons all day!"). But I"m left feeling bitter. And hurt. And insulted. I struggle to take comfort in the knowledge that I am pleasing my husband and serving my family. More, I am pleasing myself! But I pray for guidance in letting go of my resentment. I wish I knew how other women did it, for I know I am not the only one who receives these unsolicited comments...

2 comments:

Candace said...

People say and do nasty things out of jealousy sometimes. Don't let it get to you. You can't change others, the best thing you can do is pray for them.
Lower your expectations, and then they won't disappoint you.
If you know you are following God's will for your life and that of your family, then relax and enjoy it.
I am a registered nurse, and staying home is just as much "work".
Love in Christ.

Anonymous said...

Don't listen to them. They are nasty out of guilt I think more than anything else. They know that going off to work all day leaves the house and children neglected, no other way to look at it. Be proud that you have chosen the good and selfless road for the benefit of your Family.
-Julie